As I explained in my last post, this summer didn’t quite go according to plan, and I didn’t have very much time for crafting or blogging. However, it’s fast becoming a tradition that I make a dress for my granddaughter, and so I duly made her a little sundress, using the pattern she chose from my Pinterest board. But both her dad and I had fallen in love with another pattern as well, which was absolutely beautiful and quite unusual, and I simply couldn’t resist the opportunity to make that one too.
The pattern is called ‘The Peppermint Swirl‘ and it’s available on Craftsy. I think it looks stunning, so when my son and family arrived to stay for the May half term week, they decided to choose some fabric so I could make the dress up for my granddaughter. The pattern was duly bought, and because it’s an instant download, we didn’t have to wait for it to be delivered.
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE!
Back in the autumn I decided to revive one of my long forgotten skills and make my lovely granddaughter a traditional smocked dress. When my children were small I used to make lots of smocked dresses, romper suits etc, but I haven’t done any for years. However, I searched the internet until I found exactly the kind of pattern I wanted, bought all the fabric and other bits and pieces, and made a start.
I found that once I got going, I remembered how to do the smocking quite well, and I really enjoyed myself. I was very pleased with the result.
However, I didn’t have time to make the dress up before I headed off to The Gambia in early December, so I packed everything away carefully in a bag, ready to work on it when I got back. Yesterday I dragged it all out, and tried to get myself organised ready for completing the dress. As you can see, it took me a while to work out what all the pieces were and what needed to happen next. Well, I am clearly out of practice, because it took me three attempts to make up the piping detail with cord and bias strips! Then I tried to make up the bodice, which admittedly was a bit tricky with the piping added, but after my first attempt the piping covered some of the smocking. I carefully removed the stitches and tried again, but this time I caught some of the bodice material into the seam. It was too late to do any more, so called a halt, and I hope to get back to it later today. I will keep you updated on my ‘Works in Progress’ page!
I’m sure everyone is used to things going wrong during a project, and it’s certainly not my first time. I remember stitching something to my skirt once! Still, I love dressmaking, and I know I will be pleased when the dress is finished.